Dating can be exhilarating. Dating can be tough. There are so many moving parts. There are all kinds of ways two people may be attracted and compatible – or not: physically, intellectually, spiritually, sexually, emotionally, socially, fiscally. Even the most optimistic among us understand the necessity to compromise a bit on the nice-but-not-essential partnership wish list. But which factors, and how much compromise?
Relationships are often a catalyst for growth. They often highlight personal uncertainties and challenges that easily remain dormant and unexamined when one is single. It’s often difficult to discern if the discomfort and confusion that can arise in a relationship points to a flaw in this partnering or personal idiosyncrasies which, conscientiously, might need to be addressed.
Questions and possibilities, both daunting and exciting, can mix with emotions and set your interior world a-twirl. Your head, your heart, and your hormones can all go into overdrive. You know the feeling. You’re just a little bit – euphorically – out of control. That’s love! However, this love partnering is an enormously important, life-altering decision. You want to do your very best thinking, but – at this stage – it’s extremely difficult to help yourself. What to do?
You can share your dreams, questions, and concerns with family and friends, of course. But they all bring their own biases to the conversation. And who won’t look askance at you (and your partner) once you’ve shared any pernicious doubts you need to process in order to move forward? You could keep one foot on the brake and wait till things stop twirling but, if you’re time line is significantly different from your partner’s, your reticence may be a deal-breaker. You could jump in feet first: commit in haste, repent in leisure. Or you could enlist a dating coach to help you move forward in a measured and purposeful way.
Wouldn’t it be incredibly helpful to have an ally, advocate, and thought partner in this process? As your coach, I am dedicated solely to your happiness, well-being, and success. Allow me to help you…
- Fully define your relationship goals
- Be accountable for taking actions that align with your values and your dreams
- Be mindful and transparent with your level of relationship commitment
- Discern if a potential partner is a true contender
- Maintain your sense of autonomy in relationship
- Identify self-sabotaging dating behaviors
- Find the valuable learning opportunities in dating mistakes
- Distinguish a relationship mismatch from a call for personal growth
- Help you remember the compromises you vowed to avoid before the fairy dust took over